Easy Being Green
Here are a few small, eco-friendly changes in the bathroom that can have a big impact:
• Check toilet tanks for leaks by putting food coloring into the tank. There is a leak if color appears in the bowl.
• Decrease gallons-per-flush by placing sealed one-liter bottles filled with water and gravel into the tank.
• Turn your hot-water heater down to 120˚F to save five to 10 percent of your heater’s energy consumption and prolong the heater’s life.
• Consider an electric water-heater timer to lower the temperature at night or while on vacation.
• After showering, run the bathroom fan until the mirror is clear to prolong the life of wallpaper or paint and prevent mold.